Monday, August 4, 2014

Welcome to the good life July &, 2014

So, I mean, this letter will be pretty short. But it will be good and stuff. Right? Right. We had a good week here in Acayucan. I mean, there was some clogged drain problems you don´t want to know the specifics about, I went to do divisions with an elder from Peru, I got a little sick (not a lot, so don´t freak out.) and threw up in the street like a drunk, and celebrated a nice 4th of July. So, sounds pretty good right? It really was. Well, I wont continue too much with the clogged drain thing, but let it be said that Elder George is brave, and what happened there need not be written. However, if one day you would like me to tell you guys in person I will do it. I will tell it vividly, using hand gestures, facial expressions and e´rrythin. But the divisions were pretty fun, I went with Elder Carmen to his area this last week. He is an an Area called ParaĆ­so, which is a solid two hours away from our area but its a pretty cool place. While we were together we walked on some train tracks, preached the gospel, and all that good stuff. I mean, it was also with him where we threw up. We were on a little side street though so no one saw. Later we passed by the puke place and there was a lady walking up and so as I passed I made sure to talk in a really loud voice and express my disgust at the fact that somebody would puke in the street. So ya know, I didnt make it obvious at all. Elder Carmen got a kick out of it. 
I am proud to be an American. I don´t know if you guys know that, but uh, I am. So to show it, I sang the national anthem periodically throughout the fourth of July, my companion and I ate bacon for breakfast,
I made sure to tell people it was independence day, and we went to eat hamburgers with the some more American Elders. I mean, scale of one to ten, I would put it at a solid 8.7, we lacked fireworks, but hey, that will be saved for next year. Oh and I just remembered, I am now sixteen months into this whole mission deal, crazy right? Not very long ago people were telling me that I still had a lot to go and now all of the members tell me that I am almost done. I am not sure when the transition got made but yeah. and time keeps going by faster. its weird. 
This last week we had the opportunity to go teach one of the members that hasn´t been to church for awhile and it was a cool experience. All of our plans had fell through and Elder George felt like we should go visit her even though she lives kind of far, and so we did. It was the first time I had ever met her, so at first we were just talking and then she said something and a scripture came into my head, so I mean, Missionary Mode got kicked in and I just started teaching about Lehi´s dream. Anyway, after a time we ended up talking about why she hadn´t been going to church. She just opened up and told us everything and Elder George and I just started sharing scriptures and talking to her and it definitely was not us that was teaching. The Spirit took control of the lesson and it was just incredibly powerful. During this time it really just made me think of how God had put us in the right place. We had absolutely no intention of going near the part of the area where she lives that day. We had pretty  good plans and everything that I honestly didnt expect to fall through. Truly God had something else planned. I continue to learn of the truthfulness of this work. I do not doubt the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon. I love the Lord and I am grateful to be here as His servant. 
I love you guys, I hope you´re all doing well!
Love, Elder Rivers. (Rios)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment