Monday, January 27, 2014

Well, I mean, we made it to 2014. That’s a good thing. I don’t exactly have New Year’s resolutions, I never really thought about making any... So, my bad. Anyway, we didn't do much on New Year’s Eve. We had to be in our house at 8, and so we got there, wrote in our journals and what not, then we watched a movie called the RM. It was pretty great. I mean, top notch missionary entertainment. We laughed, ate Chicharrones con salsa, and went to bed at about 11. It was fun though, my companion told me he got woken up at 12 by people lighting off fireworks, but I was sound asleep. New Year’s Day my companion made pancakes on our little bunson burner that we have in our house. They turned out really good, and as I was eating I thought to myself "I should probably learn to cook" I can make pancakes... It’s just that I don´t like too... but apart from that I should actually learn to cook at some point. 

Anyway, that was New Year’s Day.
Oh and this really isn't too relevant, but our mission president gave us a microwave, and to celebrate we bought a bag of popcorn and ate popcorn with hot sauce. I would just like you to know that I probably won’t be returning to eating popcorn without it. 
Alright so, this week, we had divisions (well, that’s what they are called in Spanish, there might be another word in English) and so my companion went to another area for a day while the district leader stayed with me in my area. It went well, we were able to teach a lot of people and meet some new people as well. It was a good opportunity for me. I feel like I was able to learn a lot during that day. I kind of needed to have the opportunity to be the one who was in charge of our area. I mean, Elder Morelos and I work together, but I do rely on him a lot. When Elder Castillo, the District leader, and I were teaching I felt like I started teaching better than I was before. I felt like I was acting more on what the spirit was telling me, because I knew if I didn´t than we could miss an opportunity. I guess I can´t really explain it well, but all I know is that I really was able to learn during that time, and it just made me excited for the opportunities I will have during the rest of my time as a missionary. 
One of the people we were able to see was Daniel. He has a baptismal date for Jan. 18 and we have been working with him to help him be more prepared for his baptism. He has already been going to church for a year, and so he was already ready when I got to this area. The thing that’s been hard for us is that we couldn´t figure out what it was that was holding him back from being baptized. Every time we talked with him he just kind of gave really general, vague answers, but this time when we went was different. We had found him by chance and we were on the way to see someone else, but I felt like we should talk to him, so we did. We started teaching and the Spirit came into the room. As we taught he was thinking about everything that we said and then he just opened up to us and let us know what his fear was. I know that the Lord touched his heart in that moment, because as he spoke to us he started finding the answers he was looking for without our help. It was a really good lesson, and now he is excited for his baptism. Before we left, he asked for a blessing. After the blessing, his eyes were a little teary and he told us thank you. 

I know that through the blessing we gave him, he was able to hear what the Lord had to say to him, and that it gave him the strength it needed. I am grateful that I have the opportunity to be here and be an instrument in the Lord´s hands. It’s a remarkable experience to be here as a missionary and I thank the Lord for it every day. 
Anyway, that’s what I have for you guys this week. I love you and hope all is well. 
Love Elder Rios

Jer.9:24, Ether 4:18-19




\

No comments:

Post a Comment